It is like a dream for many to be able to own a car and go for long drives with their family and friends. Some even save money every month just to get that one car they’ve dreamt of always. And when you finally purchase it, you would do anything that’s in your hand for its protection. Imagine looking at that same car one day all damaged due to heavy rainfalls. It would be heartbreaking as well as the costs for repairs won’t be any less. However, you need not worry about the expenses if you have a comprehensive car insurance policy.
Most of the people who have an insurance plan get confused as to how to file a claim for flood-damaged cars. The criteria, as well as the process for the same, is mentioned below, keep reading.
Types of insurance covers:
You mainly have two types of insurance covers available- third-party liability and comprehensive policy. As per the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, it is mandatory to have at least a third-party cover for every vehicle plying on Indian roads. On the other hand, the comprehensive policy provides cover for own damage along with third-party liability. It is not mandatory to purchase the latter cover but is highly recommended.
If you buy a comprehensive policy, you can also opt an Engine Protector Add-on cover for flood-damage. You must note down a few points when your vehicle gets damaged due to flood, so you can prevent any damage ahead and have a smooth claim process.
- If you see your vehicle submerged in water, or even feel that the rainwater has entered your car, do not turn on the ignition or attempt starting the engine. Don’t even attempt push-starting your car.
- Disconnect the battery if the water has entered your car.
- The next thing you would want to do is call your insurance provider and inform them about the same for further help.
- If you are required to move the vehicle, ask your insurer or the repairer to arrange a tow-truck.
Claim Process for flood-damaged car
- Your insurance company will surely provide you with the customer care number as a point of contact.
- Notify your insurer regarding the car damage and provide them with all the important details.
- You will then receive a Claim Registration Number.
- The insurance provider will assist you to move your vehicle to a garage.
- You will be asked for the claim form of your motor insurance policy and a copy of the registration certificate. Some other documents may also be requested depending on the necessity of the claim.
- Either a surveyor or garage service that the insurance provider has assigned will assess the damage caused. After that is done and you receive a confirmation of your claim to be valid, you will be informed by the surveyor as to how much amount is supposed to be paid by your insurer and the amount payable by your end according to the terms and conditions of your insurance policy.
- Once your car is repaired and ready to go, you will receive it once the payment from your end is done. The remaining amount will then be settled by your insurer with the garage.
- If your vehicle is no more in the condition of getting repaired, your insurance company will make arrangements to sell the car in its present condition and offer you the Insured Declared Value (IDV) amount of your vehicle as mentioned in your policy document.
Follow all aforementioned steps to make sure your claim process is smooth and hassle-free. Also before selecting the general insurance company for purchasing the insurance policy, make sure you compare online and get the best deal.