Even a minor car wreck can cause serious injuries, which may halt your life entirely. Unfortunately, car crashes and collisions are not uncommon in Colorado. It is okay to feel confused and overwhelmed immediately after the accident, but you have to take a few steps to ensure that your rights and interests are protected. While hiring an experienced Colorado Springs car accident lawyer is always recommended, you have to check some things on your own, especially if you believe that other driver’s disregard for safety has caused the accident.
- Contact emergency services. You may assume that the accident is not serious and come to an agreement with the other driver about not reporting the incident. This could be a big mistake, because the accident report is highly important. Also, take pictures of the accident site and everything around it, if you are in your senses.
- Get medical help. You can choose to see a doctor of your choice, but make sure that you report and mention all the injuries. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent, but can alter your life in the long run.
- Gather evidence and documents. Once you feel a little better, consider gathering all the documents. From photos of the accident to insurance policy and accident report, try and gather all the details, so that you can meet a lawyer without worrying much about what to say.
- Find a good attorney. A skilled car accident lawyer can change the course of your personal injury lawsuit, or insurance claim. They can help you determine the exact cause of the accident and establish liability, which will determine the further course of action.
- Inform your insurance company. Talk to your car accident lawyer attorney first and make sure that you report the incident to your insurance company.
Knowing the statute of limitations
As in every state, there is a statute of limitations in Colorado, as well. Consider meeting your car accident lawyer in person to know more, but the basic thing is to act as swiftly as possible. You have a deadline of three years to file a personal injury lawsuit and two years to file for property damage lawsuit. However, since evidence will matter, the sooner you act, the better are your chances of getting a fair and just compensation.
Check for an experienced car accident lawyer in Colorado to discuss your case further.